Welcome to Jefferson High School for the 2018/19 School Year!
Hello to all of our returning students and a special greeting to our incoming freshmen. My name is Mark Beshirs, Principal of Jefferson High School. I am really excited for the new school year to begin. Jefferson enjoyed many successes last year, but I am also excited about our potential for growth. What were some of those successes? Here’s a partial list:
· Jefferson AP students contributed to the district’s overall improvement in AP test scores.
· Jefferson showed off our athletic prowess, taking championships in football, basketball, and baseball. Our badminton team made it into the finals tournament. We had tremendous participation in all of the sports we offer including track and field, cross country, swimming, volleyball, softball, and cheer.
· Jefferson ASB and clubs continued to lead the way in social causes, maintaining our campus recycling and composting programs, organizing charitable efforts, and delivering solar power to remote areas of Guatemala.
· Jefferson Robotics had a successful season and hosted a well-attended tournament on campus.
· Jefferson Art Students were honored by Congresswoman Jackie Speier.
· Jefferson students showed off their creativity with excellent performances by the band, Mission Fusion, and drama. AP Art dazzled us with their Art Show at the end of the year.
Remember, whether you are new to Jeff or returning, it is a great idea to get involved in activities at JHS. There is no better way to make friends, no better way to enjoy the school year, no better way to connect more deeply with your school.
Be sure to take advantage of our afterschool program this year. We have once again partnered with the YMCA to provide this space for you. Stop by during lunch or after school, get a snack, get help on homework, or just visit with your friends and play games. You will find the YMCA Afterschool Center across from the library.
I’d also like to invite you to spend some time with our new website to learn more about life at Jefferson. The website is filled with photos of all the great work our students do. There are links to StudentVue so you can check your grades. You can learn more about ASB and Athletics. Hey 18-year olds, 2018 is an election year and it will be your first chance to vote. You can register to vote on our website. Just click the register to vote button and fill out the form.
We are proud of what we have to offer our students here at Jefferson. It is my hope that all of our students accomplish three things while they are here at Jeff:
· Turn into wonderful, happy, productive adults.
· Have fun.
Don’t hesitate to ask me or any of the staff here how we can help you accomplish these three things.
Thanks and have a great year!