Welcome to JUHSD
Dear JUHSD Parents and Caregivers,
I am proud to welcome you to Jefferson Union High School District! JUHSD offers some of the best schools in the country according to US News & World Report. We represent a diverse community with five high schools and an Adult Education program. Each of our schools has achieved great things over the past year:
• Jefferson High School’s Associated Student Body (ASB) and clubs continue to lead the way in social causes by maintaining our campus recycling and composting programs, organizing charitable efforts, and delivering solar power to remote areas of Guatemala.
• Oceana is a California Distinguished School with a unique program including community service for all graduates.
• Terra Nova is focused on academic excellence with a robust Advanced Placement (AP) program in diverse subjects including Music Theory, Psychology, and European History; the campus also offers extensive sports and other extracurricular activities.
• Thornton provides opportunities for students to overcome challenges, meet graduation requirements and complete college coursework through Skyline College.
• Westmoor is continuously increasing its impressive array of courses in a broad range of subject areas including Advanced Placement, Career Technical Education, Theater Arts, Technology and the Vocational Arts.
Whichever campus your student is attending this year, I know that they will have an excellent educational opportunity. Be sure to check out the open house schedule on your school’s website, and save the date for SAT School Day on October 16 when students at all comprehensive high schools will take the PSAT or SAT for free during the school day.
Thank you for trusting us with your student. We take this responsibility very seriously and are looking forward to a school year full of exciting opportunities, growth, and community building.
Dr. Terry Deloria (Dr. D.)
Jefferson Union High School District’s superintendent, Dr. Terry Ann Deloria, joined the district in 2017.
Dr. Deloria was immediately impressed with the district’s commitment to all students. “Our Board wants every student to be prepared for college and careers so that he or she will be successful AND happy in life,” she said earlier this month.
The JUHSD Board of Trustees selected Dr. Deloria after considering multiple candidates in a nationwide search. Deloria comes to the district from the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District, where she was most recently assistant superintendent for educational services.
"The Board is excited to welcome Dr. Deloria to our district,” JUHSD Board President Rosie Tejada said. “She is a proven leader with a strong understanding of what we need to grow as a district."
Dr. Deloria’s achievements in Santa Monica include implementing an “Excellence Through Equity” program aimed at helping all students thrive, coaching school principals in leadership training and directing a district-wide technology plan.
She began her education career as a high school math teacher in Santa Clarita and worked as an assistant principal and summer school principal before moving into district administrative positions, first in the William S. Hart Unified School District and then in the Santa Monica district, where she has been since 2012.
Dr. Deloria holds a doctorate degree in educational leadership from California State University and a master of science degree in educational technology from Pepperdine University. A native of Marquette, Michigan, Dr. Deloria attended Northern Michigan University before heading west to California. She connected immediately to the relatively small JUHSD community.
“I could sense in talking with members of the community that there is a ‘hometown culture’ and district loyalty despite the urban setting,” Dr. Deloria said after touring JUHSD schools. “I'm excited to get to know the staff and community members who promote this culture and pride.”
Dr. Deloria fills the superintendent seat at JUHSD left open by Dan Burns, who resigned in May for personal reasons. Tina Van Raaphorst, who has been interim superintendent, will return to her prior role as associate superintendent for business services.
“I have been honored to serve as interim superintendent and am excited to welcome Dr. Deloria,” Van Raaphorst said. “I look forward to learning from her. The vast experience and expertise she brings will certainly help us continue to grow and improve our district for the students we serve.”