Counseling and Advising
Elin Cervantes, Vice-Principal Guidance firstname.lastname@example.org 650-550-7308 Maritza Torres, Guidance Counselor email@example.com 650-550-7391 Veronica Gasco, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org 650-550-7311 Melissa Ambrose, Wellness Counselor email@example.com 650-550-7307
Needs Assessment Survey (https://tinyurl.com/ycxhnl7j)
For more information and resources, please visit the OHS Counseling Google Site
About Oceana Counseling
Oceana High School is a small public alternative school with a college preparatory program. Oceana’s Counselors hold master’s degrees in counseling and as professional counselors, we focus on supporting and enhancing the growth and well-being of all students. Our counseling department serves Oceana’s diverse student body by facilitating collaboration between students, staff, families and the greater community. Our comprehensive school counseling program is designed to meet the academic, personal/social and career development needs for all students.
The mission of Oceana’s Professional Comprehensive School Counseling Program is to empower students to take responsibility for their growth and learning, and hone the communication skills necessary for fostering and maintaining positive interpersonal relationships in a global society.
The School Counselors at Oceana High School believe:
- All students should be engaged members of their community to make a difference in the world.
- All students should be active participants in their education, and to take ownership of their education.
- All students can achieve high standards, understanding that learning is a continual growth process.
Our counseling program should:
- Focus on understanding who our students truly are and designing our services based on their needs at the given time.
- Use data as a means to inform practice and strengthen the services students receive.
- Collaborate with families, school personnel and community members.
- Be integrated within the classroom setting to reach all students equally and provide effective services.
All Oceana counselors:
- Model the professional school counseling ethics as advocated by the American School Counselor Association (ASCA).
- Participate in professional development activities essential to maintain a quality school counseling program.
- Are committed to training and equipping the future generations of counselors through a high quality Trainee Program.
- Collaborate with Oceana staff to ensure that all students are given the tools necessary to successfully access our curriculum.
- Respectfully interact with students and honor their individual differences.
24/7 Youth Crisis Hotline: 650-579-0353 24/7 All Ages Crisis Hotline: 650-579-0350
These hotlines are run by trained adult volunteers 24/7/365 and are available to offer emotional support, help, and resources to anyone in need.
www.OnYourMind.net - Teen Crisis Chat Room
The Teen Crisis Chat Room on OnYourMind.net is a place where youth can come and receive emotional support, help, and empowerment from their peers in a safe and comfortable place. OnYourMind.net volunteers are all youth from the county who are trained and supervised by StarVista staff.