6996 Mission Street
Daly City, CA 94014
* Attendance: 650.550.7781
Jefferson High School, a comprehensive high school serving grades nine through twelve, is one of four public high schools in the Jefferson Union High School District. It is located just south of San Francisco, near historic “Top-of-the-Hill” Daly City, along the Mission Street corridor that merges with the city of Colma. Jefferson High School serves the residents of Brisbane, Colma, Daly City, Pacifica, and San Francisco.
Jefferson has a reputation for high academic and athletic standards, despite its designation as an underperforming school. The Jefferson Staff encourages students to achieve at their highest potential, developing skills necessary to become life-long learners and productive citizens.
Jefferson’s current student population of 1185 students is characterized by a richly diverse racial and ethnic group: 44% Hispanic, 33% Filipino, 4% African American, 3% Chinese, 3% Samoan, 3% White, and 10% Other. Our student body is comprised of immigrants from over 32 different countries. Approximately, 70% of Jefferson students come from families where English is not the primary language. 65% of Jefferson students participate in the subsidized lunch program.
We are committed to providing a learning environment which creates opportunities that challenge all students to rise to their highest potential and develop the skills necessary to become life long learners and productive members of our diverse society.
Graduates from Jefferson High School will have the education opportunities to achieve the following:
- To develop learning skills necessary to access, process, and more effectively communicate information.
- To develop thinking skills necessary to gather and evaluate information and informed decisions.
- To develop interpersonal skills which enable students to work together, respect others and act responsibly in a democratic society.
- To develop educational partnerships between parents, teachers, students, and community members.
Jefferson students are encouraged to enroll in a rigorous college preparatory curriculum. Ninth through eleventh grade students are required to enroll in six classes each semester. Qualified twelfth grade students may have a reduced schedule. Students earn 5 credits for each passing course per semester. Students designated as English Language Learners receive specialized academic instruction to support their learning needs. The average class size is 25.
Graduation Subject Requirements
- English- 40 credits
- Math - 30 credits (10 credits of Algebra 1)
- Science- 20 credits (10 credits of Life, 10 credits of Physical)
- Social Science- 30 credits
- Physical Education- 20 credits
- Visual Performing Arts or World Language- 10 credits
- Career Technical Education- 10 credits
- Health- 5 credits
- Electives-60 credits
- 225 total credits required
- AP COURSES
- Biology Government & Politics
- Calculus AB Spanish Language
- English Language United States History
- English Literature
National Merit Program
Jefferson High School has one National Merit Commended Student in the Class of 2012.
Post Graduate Plans- Class of 2011
91% of students in the graduating Class of 2011 matriculated to college. 29% are attending four-year universities. 62% are continuing their education at community colleges. Members of the Class of 2011 chose to attend the following universities:
- Academy of Art
- Art Institute of San Francisco
- Cal Poly Pomona
- Central Escular University
- Dominican University
- Marymount College
- Notre Dame de Namur University
- San Francisco State
- San Jose State
- St. John’s University
- UC Berkeley
- UC Irvine
- UC Merced
- UC Santa Barbara
- UC San Diego
- University of Hawaii
- HONOR SOCIETIES
- California Scholarship Federation
Jefferson High School Clubs
- Latino Heritage
- Mission Fusion
- Mock Trial
- Paseo Club
- Photo/Art Club
- Polynesian Club
- Home & Garden